Sunday, August 9, 2009

10 year reunion: a thought...or nine.

1. For someone who swore (on"Everything Holy") that she would never, not in a million years, nope never ever be caught dead at her 10 (or 20 or 30 or 60) year high school reunion...I rather enjoyed myself.

2. I found that my good friend Karma is keeping her end of the bargain quite nicely these days. The sweetest, coolest, kindest, most sincere people in my grade ended up marrying the hottest, smartest, coolest, sweetest wifeys on the planet. (With the exception of a few really awesome guys who married "crazy biatches" - hey, their words, not mine- which stinks a little, or a lot, but these guys are pretty much awesome, and I have no doubt that they will have really happy lives in the long run.)

3. Funny people are still funny (and also manage to snag totally hot wifeys as well). This is my good friend doing his EC famous "Bird, Cat, Dog" bit. You know, a cat is chasing a bird and then a dog is chasing the cat and so on.) We begged him to do this all the time and our teachers even offered to give him the floor. We all loved it. If NOTHING else good, or fun, or awesome happened that night, it was worth the drive just for this:

4. My friends are all still really pretty and very cool. This pleases me.

5. I was really bummed that certain people didn't go! BOO Wayne Jensen * BOO Brian Whiteleather * BOO Lane Stilson (okay, you're excused, you actually live really far away) * BOO Erica Sehestedt (okay, you're also excused as you also have a majorly travel-y career AND live far, far away).... But, in general, boo, boo, boo.

6. 5 people from my graduating class are gone. I found this disturbing. Car accidents, suicide...it was rough to read about and hear about. Suicide always breaks my heart. It makes me feel helpless and ashamed, without fail. I find myself wishing that I could have rearranged my whole entire life around that person and been there to stop them, or protect them from whatever it was that made them so sad and so hopeless. It haunts me. It really does.

7. When you live in a small town, almost EVERYONE at your high school reunion is an X-boyfriend. Some may find this awkward, I, however, found it to be hilarious. Loved it. I had 20 -30 really good laughs with my 6th and 7th grade boyfriends. (Brandon J. and Kellen J. - Holla!) Good times.

8. Things change. People change. They get better. We all get wiser (hopefully, and so it seemed). It's fun to see it. It's nice to see everyone happy and well. It sucked to read that we'd lost 5 of us. I was honestly glad to see that there were so many who were still happy and well.

9. The drive down and back with Monica and Aubry was awesome. It's incredible that some friendships never change. We haven't seen each other for months...maybe even a full year, and when the three of us piled into Monica's Jeep, it was like nothing had ever changed. We laughed our heads off and had an amazing time. I loved eating mini doughnuts, rubbing Aubry's darling little basketball belly and hearing about Monica's hilarious kids and wonderful brothers and sister. Life was good. Life is good.

So, If you're wondering if you should go to your high school reunion...my vote is go. I think I would have always wondered about it if I hadn't. Besides, if you were a nerd, and you hated it, and people snubbed you, chances are you're smoking hot with a hot spouse and a great job (seemed to be the case last night) so at the very least, go throw it in the mean people's faces. But I've gotta warn you, there may not be any mean people there. High school sucks and then you move on. Everyone falls short at some point, but everyone usually realizes this and changes for the better. I know I sucked in high school. I know that when I got hurt, I turned around and hurt other people in return. But I'd like to think that I'm not that same person. I'd like to think that I've grown, and in so doing, I have had to allow for the fact that others have grown as well... It's healing. It's pimp. Highly recommend it. That is all.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I didn't go to my 10th, and I'm not sad about it. I'm not sure about my 20th. I knew very, very few people from high school. In fact, I just found out that I went to high school with CJane and Nienie, but we weren't in the same class.

Jillian said...

My 10 year was this weekend, but it didn't work out to go up to UT for it, and I am kinda bummed that I missed it.

Jeremy & Andrea said...

ummm awesomeness to see you...and your points are all true and accurate. I'm glad you came and hope that sometime we'll run into each other in less than another 10 years.

Natasha Ireland said...

I'm in CHARGE of our 10 year this next year...SUGGESTIONS PLEASE...

Natasha Ireland said...

I'm in CHARGE of our 10 year this next year...SUGGESTIONS PLEASE...

Lane said...

I'm sorry! I really wish I could have come. I was tied up with a family reunion in Park City, but next time I'll be there. I'm glad to hear the reunion was so fun.

Thanks for posting!

Lane