Thursday, August 6, 2009

oprah . marshmallow mateys . a late night revelation . and some potty talk.

I was a bit of an insomniac last night and ended up eating two bowls of Marshmallow Mateys and watching the 1:00 a.m. airing of the Oprah Winfrey Show. (and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed myself...obviously.) the show was about people who have had their "Social Class" changed as a result of the recession. People who considered themselves to be "Upper Middle Class" are now living at poverty level and some of them went on the show to tell their stories. They talked about how hard it was to make ends meet, and that they were faced with losing their homes, and that it was SO embarrassing that they couldn't buy the latest and the greatest toys/gadgets/and cars to impress their friends. But the craziest thing that really stood out to me was how many of them said that their "friends" all but evaporated once they hit hard times... and I found myself thinking: Wow, I am so blessed.

I NEVER have had to worry about what I wear or how nice my car is (ahhhh ha ha ha! And it's a good thing too!) because my friends DON'T CARE. They aren't my friends because I buy them things, and they certainly aren't my friends because hanging out with someone of my (admittedly incredible) "social status" makes them look good to the rest of the world. They're my friends because...well, I don't know why, I guess because I'm really really blessed!

I can't imagine living in a world where I have a circle of friends whose "friendship" is so conditional that it hinges upon whether or not I can buy Gucci's Fall Line. It feels like insanity. I can't even wrap my mind around it.

I have the kind of friends that bring over flowers, baked goods, and a box of Kleenex and let me talk (and cry) about my dead cat for hours on end.

I have the kind of friends that support every. single. one. of my crazy fundraising ideas and come to my rescue when things get out of hand, and they do it using their unique (and terribly enviable) talents and best of all, they do it with a smile.

I have the kind of friends that I can tell anything.

I have the kind of friends that go out dancing with me on pirate ships till 3:00 a.m.

I have the kind of friends that I want to be like. I admire their strength, selflessness, intelligence, beauty, humor, kindness...you name it, they've got it, and I want to be just like them.

So, I just wanted to say that. As I watched that show last night, I found myself feeling oh so sorry for those people. Not because they were poor in money, but because they were so poor in friends. I can't think of a more terrible fate than that. So, friends, I heart you. I hope you really know how very much I heart you. (Isn't it so annoying when people say I heart you? It's like, so 5 months ago, but I love it! So deal.)

On a lighter note. My sister-in-law, (Cristi) just reminded me of the fact that when I was little, my brother (Bryan) tricked me into drinking pee. He peed into a cup and told me it was lemonade. I took a sip, and told him it needed sugar. (makes sense, he never was very sweet...as evidenced by the fact that he tricked his little sister into drinking pee.) Just thought you should know.

(You see, I can even tell my friends that I drank pee once, and they're STILL my friends. How awesome is that? You're still my friends...um...right?)

6 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Your friend--but not Bryan's. ;-)

Ashley Koz said...

I remember seeing that episode a while back too and thinking the same thing. Why in the H do you care what "social class" you are in, If your self worth is determined by what "class" society decides you are in I feel very sorry for you indeed. Loved the pee story

Ashley said...

Ummmmm.... I don't think I can be your friend anymore now that I know you drank pee! ;) LOL

Thanks for letting us come visit and play yesterday!

I heart you too!

Jen Nelson said...

Oh my gosh - I totally remember when he did that! He was such a butt!

I can't imagine basing my self worth on my net worth... that would be depressing! hahaha!

Love you and so thankful for you!

Celeste said...

YAY for frens!
ditto to you, soo super grateful!!!

LMS said...

Okay, so I can't get past the fact that your brother made you drink pee. It trully is amazing that you survived being the only girl amongst so many boys. It's a good thing you had FRIENDS! Love you!