Friday, November 14, 2008

Ode to Irmita's and a funny story...

There are many, many things I love about visiting St. George. I love our spacious, clean, garden homes, the outdoor pool with its palm trees and waterfalls, seeing baby Jack (okay, AND Bryan and Cristi too... )Shopping, sleeping, laying in the pretty backyard, watching way too much cable TV ...the list goes on and on.
But what, you ask, is my all-time favorite thing about St. George?
Pork Tacos at Irmita's
Hands down.
In fact, a few weekends ago, Nancy and I went down to vacay with our little men (no hubbies allowed) and Kyle was SO sad! No, not because he would miss me desperately (though I'm sure that was also the case ; ), but because he knew I would be putting away 3 and 4 Irmita's tacos a day while he sat alone in Springville eating Pizza and PB&J. Ohhhh these tacos are so delcious. I sometimes awake to find myself calling out to them in the middle of the night. Longing to be near them, wishing I could just smell their marinated, fried, porky delectability - even for a small moment. They are a ghetto delight for the ages, and frankly, I don't know why I've decided to torture myself by talking/thinking about them when they are a terrible, horrible, gut-wrenching 4 1/2 hours away... I guess I do it for you- my 3 loyal, deserving readers. I want you to know the joy of the naughty, fatty, utterly yummy pork tacos that have filled my life with so much meaning over the past several months. I'm not greedy, there's enough Irmita to go around. If you're headed down that way, be sure and stop in. It's in a gas station off to one side of Walmart. (Off of the Washington exit) Have one for me while you're at it.
(Here they are, in all their glory.)
Order a "fried pork taco" then dump a bunch of fresh cabbage on it and enjoy. For extra tastiness, order them with fresh avocado and mozzarella cheese, then dump the cabbage on it, and enjoy. Warning: this is authentic Mexican food and the salsas at the salsa bar are friggin' hot. I don't use ANY of them because they make it so I can't taste the pork that has been marinated and fried to perfection. Kyle's parents totally ruined theirs by trifling with the unknown entities of the salsa bar last time we were there. Silly in-laws, don't you know that mouth-scalding lava sauce is for crazy people? You'll learn. Someday you'll learn...
DISCLAIMER: Laura Dugovic and the associates of Laura Dugovic Inc. cannot be held liable for poor ordering at said location. Laura Dugovic does not personally endorse or recommend ANY menu item other than the plain pork tacos detailed in the preceeding paragraph. If you choose to order a burrito or quesadilla, you are doing so at your own risk, and will have inevitably ordered a lesser menu item (though we have been informed that ALL items are reasonably delicious.) Thank you for choosing Laura Dugovic.
and now, for the funny story...
Kortland walks up to me in the backyard of the St. George house, holding a surprise behind his back.
Kortland: "Mom, I have something you're going to want."
Me: "Cool, bubs, what is it?"
(Kortland whips this book out from behind him.)
Kortland: "I found something you'll love to read!"
Me: (stifling a laugh) Thanks bud! What makes you think I will love to read this?
Kortland: (flips the book over and says in the best "door-to-door" sales pitch voice you've ever heard.)
"Because it's about g-iiii-r-r-ls,"
(flips the book back over)

"...and it's gold and shiny!"
Ha ha ha! What am I, a raccoon? Shiny. Must read!
Oh he is so funny...

2 comments:

Jen Nelson said...

"and it's gold and shiny!" ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
HAAAAAAAAAAAA
That kid KILLS me! Could he get cuter/funnier/adorabler? OK, that last one isn't really a word but are you kidding me?

And why oh why have I never been to Irmitas with you?

Ashley said...

Okay those tacos look SOOOO YUMMY! You know they are authentic when they have CABBAGE on them instead of lettuce! ;) Thanks... now I'm hungry!