Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Today, I am grateful for...

Yesterday, Oprah did part two of her "favorite things" show.
I love watching that show. The complete pandemonium that ensues is hilarious, and I find myself smiling the entire time and thinking it would be so cool to get all that loot. At the end of the show, Oprah gave everybody the new VW Beetle. A new car. Do you have any idea as to how much we could use a new car? (Well, not even new so much as A car, ANY CAR, really...) I thought - that would be so great! And I was really happy for those people. I'm sure that all of them could have used a new car (and a little pick-me-up) as well.

Closing up the show, Oprah said something along the lines of "This show isn't intended to be about 'the stuff'. It was never meant to be about 'the stuff'. I just wanted to show people that sometimes magic can come into your life when you least expect it."
(Okay, that was a lame paraphrase, but stay with me. I do have a point ...at least, I think I do...?)
Photobucket
I immediately thought of these two.
I have magic in my life every day.
No, better than magic, I have miracles.
Photobucket
I have an anniversary coming up.

It was this exact time last year that a little (microscopic, even) miracle was burrowing deep inside my belly...at the time, and I didn't even know just how much I had to be thankful for on that Thanksgiving. Most days, I still can't believe it. I can honestly say that as Oprah concluded her show, I thought to myself- "Wow, I am a receiver of some of that magic she's talking about. And I don't need any 'stuff'. I have everything I could have ever hoped for right here." And that's the dang truth. After5 years of pain, and struggle and living with the ugly (and I'm talkin' u.g.l.y.) shadow of "not knowing"...

I have sons (That's with an 'S' on the end, people. An 'S'! That 'S' is very important.)

Brothers, even.

Two people that will now have one another to lean on as they go through this thing called life. And the added bonus? With a big ole seven year gap standing like a sentinel between them, these two actually seem to (dare I say it...?) LIKE each other. Life is good. Oh so very good.
Photobucket
And when I think about how much we went through to get Tennyson here, it makes Kortland's simple, immediate conception seem like all that much more of a miracle as well. His goodness is a miracle. All the love and joy that he brings to our family is a miracle.

And in this, the very season of miracles, I already feel like my cup overfloweth.

And it feels pretty dang good.

Sure, it might be nice to drive something other than a pedophile van... someday. But, I'm not gonna lie. Having an extra set of wiggly toes at our dining room table?

I feel like the richest woman alive.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

Absolutely beautiful post. I'm going to go hug my girls, now :)

Stephanie
http://www.dirtandlace.com

Misty Dawn said...

OK, I love you! As if the hormones don't make me cry enough without your adorable posts! And.. I bet you totaly rock the pedophile van and make it look totally trendy and hip!

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I LOVE this! It took a long time to get pregnant with our first. With the help of fertility treatments he is here. It didn't take as long with the second ONLY because we knew what the issue was and we went straight to the fertility treatments. I too am so very thankful for my two little miracles. I can't imagine where I would be without the technology of modern medicine. Without it I don't think I would ever be a mommy to a beautiful boy and a beautiful girl. I am so glad that you get to celebrate with two little ones this year.