Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wow, I needed that.

Yesterday was a rough day for me. I think that was rather evident in the tone of my last blog.... This morning I got up (really early) and I checked in on the "Nie Nie Dialogues" and found the most amazing re-post that just made my day and was an answer to prayer. It has been hard being bombarded with disgusting examples of everything a mother should never be over the last couple of days, and it overwhelmed me to the point where I couldn't see beyond my resentful awe to notice that there are thousands of amazing mothers out there as well. This post really drove that home for me. If you haven't heard of the Nie Nie Dialogues, they were written by a cute, amazing, thoughtful, giving mom (much like all of you) who has recently been in a horrible plane crash with her husband. They survived, but over 80% of their bodies were burned and they are both in comas. You can read more about her and donate to help their cute little family at
She really is an amazing person and her example was an answer to my prayers. I hope everyone can keep her and her husband in theirs.
Here is what she had to say:
"Since my birth experience to Mr. Nicholas Jones Nielson was a rather spiritual and personal experience, I thought I'd share only a few highlights in minor detail.
Having Christian at my side was so soothing. He was there when this beautiful child was created, so of course he was going to be there every second seeing this baby here into this world. That included: holding me when contractions started, timing, rubbing, kissing, wiping tears and-OH those eyes! Those beautiful brown eyes of his! They were my guiding light as I pushed out this nearly 9 pounder. He was not just on the side lines watching from a distance, rather close at my every whim touching, encouraging and affirming.
A birth is a spiritual occurrence if we let it. It is how we treat the experience that makes it so beautiful. I lay in my room with the most comforting, calming, gorgeous music playing. It was quite. It was peaceful, and very safe. Occasionally I would wander outside to smell the air and feel the wind on my body.
It was invigorating.
Christian fed me fresh cantaloupe and berries and kept me hydrated with pure distilled water (and recharge a healthy version of gatorade- my favorite) People think that I am crazy for having a baby without any medications or that I even consider the idea of having it in my home (on the bed in which the child was made-CRAZY). I hear lots of:
"ohhh you are brave" but deep in my heart, I know it is our divine make-up that gives us all that opportunity. It is not just for the brave, but for every woman searching for confidence she didn't even know she possessed.
Sure it hurts, of course it hurts. Of course I wanted to quit and give-up, but that's when the angels enter in and somehow the pain and suffering is all worth it. In fact as I sit here and type this, I don't remember the pain--funny, since I seriously thought I was going to die during it all.
When Nicholas came out my midwife placed him on my chest and Christian and I were quite emotional. It had been a long, intense 14 hour journey. He lay peacefully there and blinked his charming eyes at us and then fell asleep.
We examined his chubby fingers, large head, broad shoulders, and mini toes. I lay there with an outsized grin soaking up all those "I'm a queen, look at what I just did" feelings. Then I got into a hot shower.
Almost 5 years ago, Christian's sister who was 26 died of cancer. She died here at the house, the same house I brought life into. It was a very beautiful moment for us.
It was in one word, perfect in everyway. I am perfectly blessed to have such a wonderful body in which I can create, carry, and deliver in perfect health these darling little children into this world."
Thanks Nie.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

geez louise, every single blog I'm reading today is making me bawl my guts out. Thanks for sharing that, what a beautiful person she must be. (and you are.) That last bit makes me think about my recent thoughts/blog post on abortion. Satan takes every beautiful thing that God has blessed us with and in so many different ways twists it into something that can be a huge stumbling block for us. Just like ice cream, 31 different flavors of drama.